Homeowners insurance provides coverage for your home and compensates you if you have a loss.   If your home is robbed or totally destroyed by a cause that is covered in the policy the insurance will help you replace your possessions and repair your home.   The Homeowners policy covers much more than just your home. It also covers other structures on your property (barn, shed, fence), your belongings (furniture, clothes, electronics), temporary living expenses during home repairs, and coverage to protect you as the owner of the home in the event that someone is injured on your property or it is determined that you were responsible for personal injury through negligence.  The amount of money you would receive depends on the deductibles and limits set for your policy.

There are many reasons but most importantly it will provide a financial safety net if the unexpected occurs. If something happens to your home that requires significant repairs or rebuilding, insurance can potentially cover that up to the limits in the policy.    If you have a home loan and the home is destroyed, you are still on the hook for the mortgage.  Insurance can help with that situation and pay for rebuilding if the house is insured at full replacement cost value.

Maybe.   You need to check.   The insurance payment is not included in the actual mortgage payment but some lenders will collect money for insurance and put it into an escrow account.   Some lenders may even require this and it is a very common practice.  Also, Private Mortgage insurance is not the same as Homeowner’s insurance.   Private Mortgage Insurance is insurance to protect the lender in case you default on the loan.

Generally, No.   Most costs related to homeowners insurance are not tax-deductible on your federal tax return. This includes your home insurance premium as well as any property losses you incur.  Of course, you have other tax benefits as a homeowner but they are not related to insurance.   If you are a landlord or a homeowner that uses part of your home for business purposes, you may be able to deduct a portion of the insurance expense.   Check with your tax professional for more information.

Your insurer can choose to either cancel or not renew your homeowners policy depending on the situation. The most common way for an insurance provider to drop insurance coverage is through non-renewal. This would happen at the end of the current policy period.  You would receive a notice of cancellation informing you of the decision, giving you enough time to secure another home insurance policy. Policyholders facing non-renewal or cancellation must be given between 30 or 60 days notice (depending on the state) from an insurance company that your coverage is going to be cancelled.  In most cases, the reason for cancellation is due to a specific circumstance such as non-payment, misrepresentation or change in risk.

If a disaster strikes, you will want enough homeowners insurance to rebuild the structure of your home, replace your belongings, pay for living expenses and protect your financial assets.

For a quick estimate of the amount of insurance you need, multiply the total square footage of your home by local, per-square-foot building costs. It is recommended that you utilize a local insurance expert and they have tools that can provide the most accurate replacement cost estimate on your home.   They will make sure the following is covered:  Structure of the home for it’s replacement value, your personal belongings and your liability if someone is hurt at your house.

Yes, most homeowner policies have deductibles and they may be different based on each individual circumstance.    The type and amount of deductible varies by company and policy. Usually there is no deductible those for things like bodily injury and medical payments to others. Usually, the higher the deductible the lower the rate.

Here is a very partial list.   Most homeowner policies do not cover animals, birds, fish, automobiles and business property.  In addition, damage caused by flood, surface water, water which backs up through sewers or drains is not covered.    Also some acts of God or civil disturbance are not covered like earth movement, nuclear damage, war, etc. Most homeowner policies don’t cover the operation, ownership, use, etc., of any aircraft, automobile, recreational motor vehicle, or water craft.  Some damages caused by an intentional act of the insured are usually not covered. Also, there are specific limits of coverage on property insured under the homeowner’s policy such as money, securities, water craft, theft of jewelry, silverware, and/or guns.  This is just a sample of what may not be covered.   Get more information from your licensed agent and your policy documents.

Yes. Whether your policy pays for the replacement or just the actual cash value, the company is only obligated to pay for personal property that you can prove you owned at the time of loss. You should keep an up to date inventory or maybe take a video of all your possessions.

Theft to watercraft, including furnishings, equipment and outboard motors, are typically excluded if the theft occurs outside your residential premises. To adequately cover your boat and its accessories, you should talk to your agent and maybe add some additional coverage.

Generally, your own policy should cover the damage from the tree.   Your insurer may be able to recover some of the loss and your deductible from your neighbor if they were negligent.